Image © Bob Jones
Latitude: 53º 09'N
Longitude: 04º 17'W
About Tal-y-FoelThe pier used to be an important ferry crossing point from Anglesey to Caernarfon, as early as the 15th century. Anglesey people would use the ferry to reach the market in Caernarfon, and at the beginning and end of each week when Anglesey quarrymen would cross to the mainland to work at the Dinorwig and other nearby slate quarries.
The ferry ceased operating from here in 1849, but continued from a nearby landing-stage (see final photo in 'More photos') until 1952. A few fishing boats are based within the sheltered quay walls, but are well aground at low water.
Return to Area Map