Image © Porth View
Latitude: 50° 25'N
Longitude: 05° 05'W
Usage: Leisure, Fishing
Contact name: Harbour Master
Address: Harbour Office, Newquay, TR7 1HR
Telephone no: 01637 872809
About NewquayThe municipal port of Newquay has a small fleet of fishing vessels and is a base of angling, tripping and leisure craft in the summer season. It has an ancient history:
A jetty existed at Towyn Blystry since before the 14th century. This was situated where the North Quay is now. In the early part of the 15th century it had fallen into such disrepair that in 1439 the Bishop of Exeter granted a tax free indulgence to anyone who would undertake repairs, for the purpose of maintaining a refuge for coastal vessels.
The first work on the harbour that we know to-day was started by Richard Lomax. He had purchased the manor of Towan Blystra in 1770 - his manor house stood where today's council offices are. At this time, vessels sheltered in the coves, and were pulled up on the sandy beaches at high water so that at low water they could be loaded and unloaded from carts which were drawn up alongside the vessels. But as trade increased, delays were caused by ships having to drop anchor to queue before tying up. In 1831, in response to a deputation from his tenants and coastguards, he borrowed £10,000 to improve the harbourage.
John Ennor was appointed superintendent of works, and the first stone of the South quay - a 2 ton block of granite - was laid on 12th July 1832. Two hundred and fifty craftsmen and labourers were employed in the building. But Lomax was not to see its completion. In 1836 he died whilst in London. The executors of his estate decided that the building works at the South quay should be finished before the manor & harbour were sold.
The manor was sold at public auction 25th Oct 1838 at the Red Lion Hotel in Truro, to a Victorian industrialist from Place in Fowey named Joseph Treffry. He purchased it for £7,000 with a view to providing a port for the shipping of ores and clay for his mining interests inland. Squire Treffry completed the building of the South quay, and constructed the North quay shortly after.
In 1844 permission was granted for a railway linking East Wheal Rose near Newlyn East to the harbour. This carried the lead and silver ores from the mine to the harbour in horse drawn ore trucks. To make the descent from the cliff top down to the quay, a tunnel was constructed under Rose fish cellars. This was 96ft in length and 17ft high, and was built by miners from St.Dennis at a cost of £300. The middle jetty was added in 1872 - when the harbour was at its busiest.
Above historical notes © ArtyType
Return to Area Map