Image © Bob Jones
Latitude: 56° 54'N
Longitude: 02° 12'W
Ownership: Catterline Harbour Trust
Usage: Leisure, Fishing
About CatterlineIt appears that the pier was built between 1835 and 1841.
By 1881 when the industry was at its peak locally, Catterline had eight herring boats and 21 other boats or yauls. In 1858 six boats were landing herring at Catterline, which became the smallest herring station on the coast compared with Stonehaven where 80 boats were landing and Gourdon with 76, many of them from East Fife. William Stephens the innkeeper was the curer who organised the small-scale herring curing at Catterline. Only three boats were landing at Catterline in 1864. This seems to have ceased by the 1880s or earlier and the local drifters probably landed at Stonehaven, Gourdon and Montrose and possibly further afield. After the mid-1880s most of the smaller places without proper harbours and curing stations dropped out, and by 1900 or so this seems to have been the case at Catterline.
In more recent times a wooden hulled steamer brought in coal once a year up to around 1930.
Return to Area Map